Meher Today – 9th January
9 January 1941
It was in Jaipur, on Thursday, 9 January 1941, that Baba dictated his well-known message, The Seven Realities of Meher Baba’s Teaching:
Meher Baba’s teaching gives no importance to creed, dogma, caste systems and the performance of religious ceremonies and rites, but to the UNDERSTANDING of the following seven Realities:
1. The only Real Existence is that of the One and only God, who is the Self in every (finite) self.
2. The only Real Love is the love for this Infinity (God), which arouses an intense longing to see, know and become one with its Truth (God).
3. The only Real Sacrifice is that in which, in pursuance of this love, all things, body, mind, position, welfare and even life itself, are sacrificed.
4. The only Real Renunciation is that which abandons, even in the midst of worldly duties, all selfish thoughts and desires.
5. The only Real Knowledge is the knowledge that God is the inner dweller in good people and so-called bad, in saint and so-called sinner. This knowledge requires you to help all equally as circumstances demand, without expectation of reward, and when compelled to take part in a dispute, to act without the slightest trace of enmity or hatred; to try to make others happy, with brotherly or sisterly feeling for each one; to harm no one in thought, word or deed, not even those who harm you.
6. The only Real Control is the discipline of the senses from indulgence in low desires, which alone ensures absolute purity of character.
7. The only Real Surrender is that in which the poise is undisturbed by any adverse circumstances, and the individual, amidst every kind of hardship, is resigned with perfect calm to the will of God.